The hubby and I love Melbourne. We went there for our honeymoon and told ourselves that we had to go back again one day.
Went back again we did, 12 years later. This time, lugging with us 3 kids and my mother-in-law.
It was a lovely trip. A month has passed and I’m still missing Melbourne.
Good thing is, I now have a blog where I can reminisce the beautiful moments in life. So, indulge me as I put these beautiful memories into blogposts over the next few days.
Well, you can always use these as an itinerary reference too if you’re planning for a trip to Melbourne soon! 🙂
12 years ago, when the hubby and I visited Melbourne, we rented a car and he was the one who did all the driving as I had no driver’s license then. He drove us along Great Ocean Road and until today, it was an unforgettable journey for us.
For this trip, we knew that we had to bring the kids and my mom-in-law to Great Ocean Road.
If you’re wondering if it is feasible to drive along Great Ocean Road with the kids, well, we have done it with 3 kids and 1 elderly. It is totally doable!
The trick is to plan your journey and have stops along the way.
There are small towns along Great Ocean Road that you can stop for a break and let the kids out of the car to release some energy.
We had a pleasant surprise when we saw this outdoor trampoline park. A great place for the kids to jump about after sitting in the car for hours.
Here’s another place where we stopped for a break, when we spotted some wild parrots. There were even koala sightings in this place. We saw a couple of them snoozing up in the trees.
Another lovely place to stop is at Gibson’s Steps, near the famous Twelve Apostles. Here, you can walk down a few flights of stairs to get onto the beach overseeing the Pacific Ocean. The sand is so soft and the beach so vast that you feel so tiny standing there. The kids played with the sand for quite a while. It felt almost surreal to be standing so close to the Pacific Ocean. Zac even remarked that he found it hard to believe that he was at the Pacific Ocean.
One of the most scenic spots along the Great Ocean Road is where the Twelve Apostles are. We stopped here for another break and took lots of photographs.
So, we did it. Driving for more than 8 hours along Great Ocean Road with 3 kids (and an elderly!) is totally doable!
Tips for a Road Trip with kids along Great Ocean Road:
1. Dress comfortably.
2. Be equipped with jackets as it can get very windy when you’re out of the car.
3. Bring along snacks for the kids. A hungry child is a grouchy child!
4. Unless you’re stopping for lunch at one of the small towns along the way, pack your own lunch, especially for the kids.
5. Plan lots of stops along the way to let the kids out of the car. A confined child is another grouchy child!
6. Bring ointments, plastic bags and extra clothes. Jay had motion sickness and vomited as a result of us driving along winding roads. The other two kids were totally fine. So, if your child tends to have motion sickness, it is better to be prepared.
Have you been to the Great Ocean Road? What was your experience like?